Policies & Information
A Few Helpful Tips & Tricks
- When attaching charms with loops to a stitched piece, whether it be a framed piece,
brooch or pillow, do not stitch the charm down with the loop exposed. This creates
a “floating” charm which detracts from the overall composition. Create your stitched
design and then tuck the charm loop underneath a leaf or flower petal and attach with
Nymo beading thread. This connects the charm to the stitched creation and keeps the
“eye” within the design.
- Use Solvy or Super Solvy to transfer your design to denim. It's easy, goof-proof
and saves you time when transferring patterns to dark fabrics.
- Always add a small stitched spray over the shoulder or around the neck of the garment
for full visual impact.
- Stitch your designs using a modular process. I demonstrate this process in my book
“The Complete Guide to Silk Ribbon Embroidery”. The patterns in the book illustrate
how easy it is to create a portion of one of my designs, so you can enjoy wearing
your garment. When you have time, add more to the design by stitching another portion
of thepattern. Add as many components to the design as your schedule will allow.
Or only use one section of the pattern to embrace the art of simplicity.
- Not having the right shade of ribbon for the roses, gives me the opportunity to shade
the yellow roses to my liking. Once they are stitched to the lapels, I use a red Pebeo
textile marker and touch the center of the yellow spider web roses with small dots
of color. Then I touch the red marks with a wet cotton swab and the color bleeds
from the center out to yield a Tropicana rose/coral shade. The Pebeo markers are
permanent when iron-fixed.
- A popular wedding item which uses the RibbonSmyth Victorian Monogram Stamps are
ring bearer pillows. Stitch a small satin ribbon to the corner of the monogrammed pillow.
Once the wedding is over, clip off the satin ribbon and the newlyweds now have a
beautiful home decor heirloom .
- Anyone can create incredible rubber stamp art with these initials. Stamp onto paper
and emboss the image and color with markers to create lovely cards or invitations.
Stamp on any material with fabric ink, color the design with fabric markers, embellish
with beads, pearls or brass charms. Our stamps create beautiful embossed images when
hot stamped onto rayon velvet.
- If you want to create a special heirloom for that new baby, but time is a factor or
the baby will be wearing an heirloom christening gown, simply stitch a bib and a
pair of shoes as a special christening gift. The little shoes can always be framed in a
shadow box later with the baby's sterling rattle and lock of hair.
Check out this section often as we will continue to add tips.